The Ventura Beach and Pier area is a beautiful place to spend a day, especially if you’re looking for things to do.
There are plenty of restaurants and shops in the area, as well as a pier that offers stunning views of the ocean.
There is too much to see and do, you will need a couple of days here to soak in the fun!
In this blog post, we’ll provide an overview of the best places to eat, things to do, and more in Ventura Beach and Pier!
- HISTORY OF VENTURA BEACH
- BEST TIME TO VISIT
- HOW TO FLY INTO VENTURA BEACH
- HOW TO GET AROUND
- WHERE TO PARK
- CHECKLIST: THINGS TO DO IN VENTURA BEACH CALI
- WHERE TO EAT NEAR THE VENTURA PIER
- WHERE TO STAY
- BEACHES TO VISIT IN VENTURA
- 3-DAY ITINERARY
- VENTURA BEACH TIPS AND TRICKS
- WHY VISIT VENTURA PIER
- OTHER THINGS TO DO
history of Ventura Beach California
The history of Ventura Beach California is a long and interesting one.
The area was first inhabited by the Chumash people, who were hunter-gatherers that lived off the land.
The Spanish arrived in 1769 and established Mission San Buenaventura, which is located in downtown Ventura.
After Mexico gained its independence from Spain in 1821, the area became part of Mexico.
In 1848, following the Mexican-American War, Ventura and the rest of California became part of the United States.
The first pier in Ventura was built in 1871. It was a small wooden structure that extended from the beach about 100 yards into the ocean.
The pier was destroyed by a storm in 1874 and was replaced by a larger wooden pier.
This pier also suffered damage from storms and was eventually replaced by the current concrete pier, which was built in 1936.
the best time to visit ventura beach california
The best time to visit Ventura Beach is during the summer when the weather is warm and sunny.
Summertime usually means more crowds, and a lot busier. However, there are plenty of things to do in Ventura year-round, so don’t let the lack of sunshine keep you away!
If you are looking to avoid crowds, then definitely plan for springtime. The weather is a bit cooler, but there are fewer people and more space for you to spread out.
Also, you don’t have to reserve a restaurant spot or worry about long lines if you go during off-peak season!
If you’re looking for some beach fun, check out the Ventura Pier. It’s a great spot for fishing, and you can also enjoy the views of the Pacific Ocean.
How To fly into ventura beach california
The closest airport to Ventura is Oxnard Airport, which is about a 15-minute drive from downtown Ventura.
Other nearby airports include Santa Barbara Airport and Los Angeles International Airport.
Ventura is also accessible by train and bus.
For more information, visit the Ventura County Transportation Commission website right here.
Most airlines will fly you directly here. However, if you want to check out cool flight deals be sure to compare prices on Orbitz or even Expedia right here.
You can find anything from flights to hotels and rentals.
How to get around ventura county in california
Ventura is one of those big cities and more often there are a couple of ways to make your way around.
There are a few different ways to get around Ventura County. You can drive, bike, or walk.
If you need to take public transportation, there is the bus system and Amtrak.
I recommend a rental car. It is often the quickest and fastest way of getting around town.
You can check out Discover cars for great car rentals.
For those who prefer to bike or walk, there are plenty of trails throughout the county.
No matter how you choose to get around, Ventura County has something for everyone.
Where to park IN Ventura Beach
There is plenty of parking in Ventura Beach California. There is even street parking downtown if you plan on going there. Of course, you have to pay for a metered lot, but you do have options.
If you are parking at the beach, then you can park near the pier. You can scan and download the Passport Parking App to pay.
The flat rate near the pier was $10, but double-check with the zone as prices could change in the summer.
There are also some paid parking lots in the area. Street parking is also available, but be aware of time restrictions.
For more information on where to park and how much it costs, visit the City of Ventura’s website.
Checklist: things you can do in ventura beach
There are plenty of things to do in Ventura Beach.
- Swimming or sunbathing – the beach has a long stretch of sand for you to enjoy
- Surfing – Ventura is known as one of the best surfing spots on the west coast.
- Kayaking – there are plenty of places to rent kayaks and explore the coastline.
- Fishing – there are great fishing spots all up and down the coast.
- Biking – the hills and trails that run through Ventura offer a great workout and some beautiful views. You can do the Promenade Biking trail along the coast in Ventura. It’s a great way to get outdoors
- Hiking – There are plenty of great hiking trails in Ventura, from easy to strenuous.
- Shopping and Dining – the downtown area has a lot of cute shops and restaurants, and there’s also an outlet mall nearby.
- Ventura Harbor– the harbor is a great place to spend an afternoon. You can walk around, check out the boats, and have a bite to eat at one of the restaurants or cafes. I even went kayaking in the Harbor! It is a nice day to spend time with family and friends.
- Other things to do in Ventura– There are also plenty of other things to do in Ventura, from visiting the zoo to going to a movie theater.
things to do at Ventura Pier
Some of my favorite things to do at Ventura Pier include fishing, walking, and taking pictures.
The pier is a great place to spend an afternoon, and there’s always something new to see.
It’s also a great spot for photos, especially at sunset. Whether you’re a fan of the beach or just want to check out the pier, Ventura Pier is definitely worth a visit!
- swimming, surfing, sunbathing
- pier fishing
- strolling during sunset hours
- Eating at the small restaurants
Where to eat near Ventura Pier
There are several good places to eat near Ventura Pier, including the Beach House Cafe, The Surfer’s Grill, and The Sandbox.
All of these restaurants offer great food and drinks, and they’re all within walking distance of the pier.
So, if you’re looking for a place to eat near the beach, Ventura Pier is a great option!
Where to stay in Ventura
There are several great places to stay in Ventura, including the Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, The Marina Hotel, and The Vagabond Inn.
These hotels offer comfortable accommodations and excellent service, and they’re all within close proximity to the beach and pier.
So, if you’re looking for a place to stay in Ventura, these hotels are worth considering!
You can also browse Orbitz here:Save with Beach Hotel Offers!
best places to eat in Ventura beach
There are plenty of great places to eat in Ventura Beach.
Some of our favorites include the Boathouse, which has amazing seafood dishes, and The Shores, which offers great burgers and fries.
There are also several Mexican restaurants in the area that serve up some delicious tacos and burritos.
If you’re looking for something a little more upscale, Ventura has several great restaurants to choose from.
Whatever you’re in the mood for, Ventura Beach has a restaurant that will satisfy your cravings.
beaches in Ventura you can visit
There are a few beaches in Ventura that you can visit. Main Street Beach, located right in downtown Ventura, is the most popular beach in town.
It’s great for swimming, surfing, and sunbathing. The pier is also a great spot to check out some amazing views of the coastline.
If you’re looking for something a little more secluded, head over to the Harbor Cove Beach or the San Buenaventura State Beach.
Both beaches are located on Point Mugu, and they offer plenty of great swimming and surfing spots.
3-day Itinerary at Ventura beach
Start your day by exploring the Ventura Pier. There are plenty of shops and restaurants to check out, as well as beautiful views of the ocean.
Make sure to wander down to the end of the pier for some great photo opportunities.
In the afternoon, head to nearby Channel Islands Harbor for a fun day of shopping and dining.
There are plenty of options for both, and the harbor is a beautiful spot to spend an afternoon.
Start your day with a walk or bike ride along the Ventura Beach Promenade. The views of the ocean are stunning, and it’s a great way to get some exercise in.
In the afternoon, visit one (or more) of the local museums. Ventura has a great selection, including the Museum of Ventura County and the Ojai Valley Museum.
If you’re looking for something a little more outdoorsy, head to nearby Los Padres National Forest for some hiking and wildlife viewing.
Make your way down to Surfer’s Point for some early morning surfing or bodyboarding.
If you’re not up for getting in the water, grab a spot on the beach to watch others catch some waves.
In the afternoon, head to one of Ventura’s many great restaurants. There are options for everyone, whether you’re looking for seafood, Mexican food, or something else entirely.
End your day by taking a walk on the beach and enjoying the sunset.
No matter what you choose to do, Ventura is a great place to spend a few days.
With beautiful beaches, interesting museums, and plenty of delicious food options, there’s something for everyone in this coastal town.
So go ahead and book your trip – Ventura awaits!
Ventura beach tips & Tricks
- Beachgoers should avoid swimming near the mouth of the river, as it is a designated surf break.
- There can be strong rip currents at the beach, so always swim close to shore and never enter the water if you cannot swim well.
- The best time to visit Ventura Beach is during the summer when the weather is warm and sunny.
- There are several restaurants and cafes located near the beach, so visitors can enjoy a bite to eat while enjoying the views of the ocean.
- Ventura Beach is also a great place to go for a walk or bike ride, and there are several bike paths that run along the coast.
- Visitors can also enjoy some outdoor activities such as surfing, kayaking, and paddle boarding. There are several surf schools and rental shops located near the beach.
Why visit Ventura Pier
The following are some of the most popular Ventura Pier attractions:
- The pier is a great place to go fishing, and there are several spots along the pier where fishermen can catch bass, catfish, perch, and other types of fish.
- The pier is also a popular spot for whale watching, and visitors can often see whales breaching near the shore.
- The pier is home to several restaurants and cafes, as well as a few shops. Visitors can enjoy a meal or purchase some souvenirs while enjoying the views of the ocean.
- The pier is also a great place for a walk, and it is often used as a spot to watch the sunset.
- The beach is a great place to spend time with family and friends.
- Make sure to bring plenty of sunscreen, water, and snacks.
- Beachgoers should avoid swimming near the pier as it can be dangerous.
- There are also lifeguards on duty at all times during the summer season.
- It is best to visit the beach during the daytime, as it can be quite crowded at night.
- The Ventura Pier is a great place for fishing, sightseeing, and sunset walks.
- There are several restaurants and shops located on the pier.
- The pier is open from sunrise to sunset.
- Ventura Beach is a great place to go swimming, surfing, and sunbathing.
- There are several restaurants and cafes located near the beach.
- Lifeguards are on duty during the summer season.
Other things to do IN Ventura Beach
If you want to do something else in Ventura Beach, I recommend visiting the Channel Islands National Park.
This park is located just a few miles from Ventura and provides stunning views of the sea and islands.
In addition, there are several hiking paths, camping sites, and beaches in the park, so it’s well worth a trip!
Ventura is a great place to visit and there’s plenty to do.
Whether you want to relax on the beach, explore the town, or enjoy some of the great restaurants, Ventura has something for everyone.
The history, weather, and activities available make it a can’t-miss destination.
If you do go, here are some tips to help you make the most of your trip.
First, fly into Santa Barbara Airport (SBA) – it’s closest to Ventura Beach.
Once you’re there, rent a car or use Uber/Lyft to get around.
There’s plenty of parking at the beach, but it can be expensive during peak season.
Make sure to check out our checklist of things to do in Ventura Beach – from eating at local restaurants to surfing lessons and more
I hope this post gives you a good idea of what to expect if you decide to visit Ventura Beach Cali.
If you have any questions or comments, please let me know in the comments below.
And don’t forget to share with your friends if they are thinking about visiting Ventura too!
Jess and Jeanette are two sisters who created Unseen Beaches. This beach travel blog was inspired by their family beach vacations taken while growing up. Helping you discover the best U.S. beach destinations worth visiting, staying, and eating at.