Kayaking is always an exceptional experience. It is the only activity you desperately want to have with your family and friends.
This peaceful and meditative activity has more significant impacts on the body’s health and fitness than ever before.
So, enjoy it as a hobby, competitive sport, or recreational purpose with your family, and keep exploring nature from a different point of view.
In doing so, you need the best tandem kayak for your family.
These days, kayaks come in a wide range of colors, shapes, and materials. They are also cheaper than ever before!
Find one that meets your body and family requirements.
Here, we breakdown the best tandem kayaks to add to your lifestyle!
- Best Tandem Kayak For Family Under $1025: Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Convertible Elite Tandem Inflatable kayak
- Top Recreational Tandem Kayak for Family on a Budget: Advanced Elements Island Voyage 2 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Best Tandem Kayak for Family under $1070: Pelican Premium Argo 136XP Tandem Kayak
- Material: RAM-X Premium polyethylene plastic
- Length: 13 ft 6in
- Width: 31.75 in
- Weight: 67 lbs
- Number of Paddlers: 2-person
- Weight Capacity (lbs): 500 lbs
- Foam Padded Two Seats
- 4in hatch for rear passenger
- 4 water bottle holders
- Each passenger has their own cockpit table and compartments and bottle holder
- Front Passenger has access to storage platform with bungee cords
- Carry handles for easy transportation from water to car and vice versa
- No tracking system
Were you looking for a paddle-free best tandem kayak for your family with abundant storage capacity?
Then your search ends here; add this canoe to your cart and have fun.
It is top rated and very popular among families.
The RAM-X Premium polyethylene plastic boat hull provide more durability so that you can use it for a more extended period.
Additionally, this hard shell jet ski comes with keepers foot braces that are easy to adjust according to your paddling position for maximum comfort.
Let’s hit the water with your family with this paddle-free water ski so you can take photos and enjoy fishing with ease.
You can use the 2 paddle tie-downs free up your hands.
This recreational canoe with stylish galaxy color and built-in cup holder prevents your drinking mug from spilling over your child.
Its feature-rich comforting backseat system allows you to adjust according to your family member and choose any forward, back, or titling paddling position.
Keep in mind that the weighing capacity for this water ski is 500lbs which includes your family and all gear.
Best Tandem Kayak for Family under $1025: Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Convertible Elite Tandem Inflatable kayak
- Material: Polyester/PVC tarpaulin/aluminum/drop-stitch PVC
- Length: 15 feet
- Width: 32 inches
- Weight: 52 lbs
- Number of Paddlers: 2-person
- Weight Capacity (lbs)
- Three layers polyester hull
- Include Repairing kit
- Drop-stitch technology
- Aluminum Rib-frame technology
- Easily rearranges from tandem to solo
- It comes with a heavy-duty duffel bag and repair kit
- Lightweight, Easily inflate, deflate & carry everywhere
- Sport design with aluminum rib frame technology to improve paddling performance
- Not include Double-deck conversion spray skirt
- The aluminum frame can corrode
Either you love solo kayaking, or quality time with family, or love both.
Then the Convertible Elite Tandem is the right recreational kayak is the option.
Its adjustable seat positioning feature lets you change the setup from solo to tandem or vice versa without negatively affecting tracking ability.
It means you can have more comfort and fun in the water.
Lightweight, bright red-colored canoe with an Aluminum rib frame design (bow and stern) with rigid panels will give solid rigidity an advanced performance while tracking.
Double coated three layers polyester material with water-resistant zipper highly ensures puncture/rust-resistant so that you can use this long life.
With a max load of 550lbs, you and your partner can easily paddle without overloading.
Best Tandem Kayak for your Family under $900: TAHE Borneo Sit-On-Top Double Kayak
- Material: Polyethylene
- Length: 13 ft. 5 in.
- Width: 33.1 in.
- Weight: 75 lbs
- Number of Paddlers: 2-person
- Weight Capacity (lbs): 550 lbs
- Ideal for three family members
- Lightweight & Durable
- A lot of storage space
- UV resistant polyethylene
- Extra storage space beneath the deck
- UV protected polyethylene preventing from scratches.
- Non-slip seats for long paddling adventures
- Twin sheet technology made it more solid and lightweight.
Not the fastest one – Designed for extreme safety and stability
You don’t have to look further in order to buy the right recreational kayak for long paddling adventures with your small family (2 adults and a child or a pup) with extra storage space.
Yet, this TAHE Borneo Sit-On-Top Tandem watercraft is the best option for having all water adventures around you.
One of the main features of Borneo Kayak is its ergonomic design with a stable flat bottom and chain rails which ensures the stability and safety of your child.
High-density polyethylene plastic and UV resistant treatment make this canoe to use for years and years.
Safety must be your foremost priority when you’re on a water adventure with your child.
That’s why its twin sheet technology joined the hull and deck sections to develop more stability.
The lightweight bow and rear carry handles make it easy to transport to the car or carry away from the water surface.
TAHE Borneo is the best option for a small family, with many extras to flatter your kayaking experience.
Tandem Kayak for Family under $700: TAHE Beach LP2 Tandem Inflatable Kayak with Paddles
- Material: Skin: polyurethane-coated nylon/tarpaulin; bladder: PVC
- Length: 11ft
- Width: 40in
- Weight: 28lbs
- Number of Paddlers: 1-person or 2-person
- Weight Capacity (lbs): 330lbs
- Backpack & repair Kit
- Quickly inflates
- Easily carry anywhere
- Include pump and two paddles
- Lightweight and quickly inflates in 5 minutes.
- Multi-layers of polyurethane provide exceptional durability.
- It comes with a backpack, repair kit, and 4-piece take-apart paddles.
- No dry storage Area
The TAHE Beach LP2 Tandem is the ideal inflatable kayak option if you want a lighter, stiffer and portable one that is easier to paddle, maneuver, and carry, then this one is it.
Being inflatable, its hydrodynamic hull and sleek design provide more durability.
TAHE Beach LP2 plays as hard as you do on your long adventure with its tarpaulin hydrodynamic hull design.
That allows you easily track and control with detachable fins.
With three air chambers and an enclosed cockpit, this sailboard offers the dryness to have a good paddling experience in all weathers.
The canoe can comfortably accommodate two kayakers like you with its two ERGOFIT adjustable seating.
You will have no trouble transporting and inflating this tandem wherever you decide to go!
Right Recreational Tandem Kayak for Family on a Budget: Advanced Elements Island Voyage 2 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
- Easy setup, unfolding
- Pocket and bottle holders
- Ideal for three persons
- No need for a roof rack
- 3 seat-adjustability allows paddling solo, partner or child.
- Rear contains drain plugs for easy draining.
- Highly Durable PVC Tarpaulin hull resist punctures.
- Seamlessly welded perimeter and pointed bow for stellar performance
- Pump not included at this price
If you love to have some fun in the water with a lightweight, portable, and last-to-built watercraft, then this Advanced Elements Island Voyage is for you!
This canoe is adventure-ready, which means no roof rack is needed.
Enjoy the hassle-free portability feature that you always need.
Some built-in features allow you to release the fin, drain water in no time.
Its pointed bow design with cutting-edge technology made it the first choice of kayakers who are passionately focused on water touring.
Just like you!
This kayak is ready for some fun-filled adventures! Are you ready?
Things to consider Before buying a recreational kayak
It’s important to choose the right length for your kayak because the better your performance will be!
A longer boat has numerous advantages like easy paddling, tracking, gliding, more stability, and less struggle in the water.
It provides enough room for storage and gear.
However, at the same time, a short kayak can easily maneuver and be controlled easily in harsh conditions.
Choose a length that fits you.
Kayak depth is the distance between the hull and the highest deck point. It mostly ranges 11-16 inches.
A good fit and paddling experience relies heavily on boat depth.
If you’re the kayaker with long legs, choose the one with the deeper hull, enhancing the weight-bearing capacity.
With shorter legs you may prefer the shallower hulls in kayak. Find one that fits your correct length.
Always choose the wider canoe if you’re a long-legged paddler or love to go with your family.
Wider kayaks provide more space for easier paddling and more stability.
If you’re a beginner kayaker, a wider boat will be more stable while entering or exiting.
Most kayaks come with sit-in or sit-on-top. If you’re a taller person, get a full-size seat with an extended back option for easy paddling.
If you love to enjoy long adventures on the kayak, choose the one with a more comfortable, adjustable ergonomic design seat.
So, you can comfortably change your body posture.
A cockpit is a space where you get in, sit and control your paddle.
So, It’s pivotal to always consider the correct cockpit size when buying.
Take into account your body’s width.
If you’re a kayaker with wider hips, the small cockpit will be more troublesome when entering and exiting.
Majorly, three types of material (polyethylene, glass fiber, and carbon fiber) are used to manufacture kayaks that are more likely available in the market.
If they are going for sea expeditions, fishing means away from rocks and ledges, then select a boat with a flat bottom made up of composite or Polyethylene material.
A skeg is a fixed extension of a kayak at the stern side present along its central line.
Skegs come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
They may be extended and retracted on more costly boats.
A skeg’s purpose is to assist the craft in tracking efficiently.
A skeg merely prevents the canoe from zigzagging when paddling.
A tracking fin works similarly to a skeg, except it can’t retract while paddling.
On inflatable kayaks, it’s most common.
You can remove a tracking fin before paddling to increase maneuverability.
It will help to reduce water resistance and improve tracking ability.
A rudder is a long, narrow adjustable fin-like blade that emerges into the water originating from the kayak’s stern and may swivel side to side.
Principally it is used in touring boats to keep the kayak moving straight, even when winds working against you.
The direction of the rudder can be adjusted and controlled with foot levers while tracking or turning.
Tips and Tricks
- Choose a kayak that suits your body and family requirements. If you’re a long-legged person, choose a large cockpit, so you can paddle, enter and exit quickly.
- If you’re planning to stay overnight with your family. It is recommend to bring an extra pack of clothes for you and all your family
- Make sure you always carry a water-proof dry storage bag to put your phone, wallet, and other stuff.
- Always dress appropriately according to condition. Bring a Personal Floating Device (PFD), apply sunscreen and stay hydrated.
- Before hitting the water, have some knowledge of correct paddling techniques such as the forward, reverse, sweep and draw; the more you follow proper kayaking techniques, the more efficiently you will ride.
- Kayaking in a bad environment (rain, storm, or windy environment) can catch you in a dangerous situation. It’s good to postpone water trips if there is heavy rain or a flood forecast.
- Never leave without a first aid kit if you’re on an adventure with your kids. Safety comes first.
- Choose a lake or pond that is shallow, and calm. Make sure that people on the coastline can see your kayak. For this, apply fluorescent tape on your boat, helmet, or jacket.
Can one person use a tandem kayak?
Yes, a person can use a tandem kayak for its solo use. Advanced Elements Island Voyage 2 Tandem and Convertible Elite Tandem Inflatable Kayak are the right recreational kayaks that can be used as a solitary boat by customizing some changes in the seat and gears.
Can three people ride a tandem kayak?
Yes, three people can safely ride on TAHE Beach LP3 Tandem Inflatable Kayak. This one is specifically recommend for family members who have 3. Though, not listed in this list it still one of the best ones out there.
Which one is the best kayak for the family?
There are plenty of great kayaks out there that allow for you and your family to ride together. If you’re a small family (3 members), then better off using the TAHE Borneo. Otherwise, for two family members Pelican Premium Argo is the ideal kayak.
Is it a tandem kayak for two people?
Yes, a tandem kayak is best for two persons/partners.
Tandem kayaking is one of the best sports out there for you and your family.
Not only do you get fresh air, but you will have loads of fun being out in the water with your loved ones.
This sport one of the best ones out there to try in a calm ocean, bay, or river.
When choosing the right kayak, this guide will help guide to choosing the correct kayak when you are ready to buy one.
The best tandem kayak for family is the one that highly guarantees safety, comfort and has adventures all around you.
Stop renting them and purchase one you can take out anywhere and anytime.
Buy your family kayak, take it to your favorite waterside, and some fun!
Jess and Jeanette are two sisters who created Unseen Beaches. This beach travel site was inspired by their family beach vacations while growing up. Helping you discover the best U.S. beach destinations worth visiting, staying, and eating.