As soon as summer ends, many people pack away their beach gear and don’t think about the ocean again until the following year.
But just because temperatures are cooler and there’s a chance of rain, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy time by the water. Fall is one of the best times to visit the beach.
Here are 15 ways to make the most of it and why Fall is one of the best times to go!
- Top Reasons You Should Visit The Beach In The Fall
- 15 Activities To Do At The Beach In The Fall
- Best Beaches To Visit In The Fall
- More Awesome Blogs
Top Reasons you should visit the beach in the Fall
- The crowds have thinned out.
If you enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere, fall is the perfect time for you to hit the beach. With kids back in school and families wrapping up their summer vacations, beaches tend to be much less crowded in September and October.
That means you can spread out your towel, set up your umbrella, and relax without having to worry about bumping into someone else.
- The water may still be a bit tolerable. In many parts of the world, temperatures start to cool down in September and October. If you don’t mind the cooler water for surfing then this may be for you.
So if you’re looking to get one last swim in before winter hits, autumn is the perfect time to do it. Just be sure to check a local weather report before heading out so you know what to expect. Because as we all know, every beach is different.
- The colors are beautiful. One of the best things about fall is all of the incredible colors that come with it—and you can see those colors at the beach, too!
From fiery red leaves on nearby trees to golden sand dollars washed up on shore, there’s no shortage of beauty to take in during an autumn beach day.
- You can finally wear that cute sweater you’ve been dying to break out. We all have that one piece of clothing we love but can never seem to find an occasion to wear.
Well, an autumn beach day is a perfect opportunity! The slightly cooler temperatures mean you can break out that cute sweater or scarf without having to worry about getting too hot.
Just be sure to pack a light jacket or sweatshirt for when the sun goes down—the temperature can drop quickly once the sun sets.
- The waves are usually better. If you’re a surfer, you know that waves tend to be bigger and better in autumn. That’s because as the water starts to cool down, wind patterns change and create more powerful swells.
So if you’re looking to catch some waves, fall is the ideal time to do it.
- You can find unique treasures. One of the best things about beachcombing is that you never know what you might find. And in autumn, there’s a good chance you’ll come across some pretty cool things washed up on shore.
From colorful sea glass to rare shells, you never know what you might discover during a fall beach walk. So keep your eyes peeled and see what treasures you can find!
- The light is perfect for photos. If you’re a budding photographer, you know that the light in autumn is simply unbeatable.
The low-angle sun creates a warm, golden light that is perfect for taking pictures. So if you’re looking to get some amazing beach photos, fall is the time to do it.
- You can enjoy all the autumn festivities. One of the best things about fall is all of the fun festivals and events that come with it. And many of these events take place right on the beach!
From pumpkin festivals to seafood festivals, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. So if you’re looking for a fun-filled day, be sure to check out what’s happening at your local beach this autumn.
- You can have a bonfire. There’s nothing like cozying up around a bonfire on a cool autumn night. And at the beach, you can do just that!
Many beaches allow bonfires, so be sure to check before you light one up. Then all you need is some wood, some marshmallows, and a group of friends and you’re all set for a fun-filled night by the water.
Activities to do at the beach in the Fall
1. Go On A Nature Walk: One of the best things about fall is the beautiful foliage. Take advantage of it by going on a nature walk along the beach. You’ll get to see all the different colors and smell the fresh salty air. Plus, you might even spot some cool wildlife!
2. Build A Sandcastle: Building sandcastles is not just for kids! Channel your inner child and build an epic sandcastle with friends or family. It’s a great way to spend some quality time together and get creative. And when you’re done, you can decorate it with seashells or leaves for a unique touch.
3. Go Fishing: Fall is a great time to go fishing because the weather is cooler and the fish are biting! Grab your poles and head out onto the pier for a relaxing day of fishing. You might even catch dinner!
4. Have A Picnic: What better way to enjoy a beautiful fall day than by having a picnic on the beach? Pack your favorite fall foods, like roasted turkey and pumpkin pie, and enjoy them with ocean views. Don’t forget to bring a blanket so you can cozy up afterward!
5. Collect Sea Glass: Sea glass is simply beautiful, and it’s so satisfying to find a piece that’s been smoothed by the waves. Spend an afternoon walking along the shoreline and see how many pieces you can find. You can use them to make jewelry, art, or decorations for your home.
6. Take A Walk At Sunset: There’s something magical about watching the sunset over the ocean. Soak up the beauty of nature and take a stroll along the beach as the sun goes down. It’s the perfect way to end a wonderful day.
7. Stargaze: One of the best things about fall is that the nights are clear and cool, making them perfect for stargazing. So find a spot on the beach away from the city lights and spend some time marveling at the stars. You might even see a shooting star!
8. Make a Bonfire: What’s better than cozying up around a bonfire on the beach? Grab some friends and head to the shore for a fun night of chatting, roasting marshmallows, and making memories. Just be sure to follow all the safety guidelines for building a fire.
9. Explore the many piers of the beaches: If you have always wanted to go check out your local beaches then now is your chance. There are a lot of gorgeous docks you can walk and visit all over the states.
10. Play beach volleyball– Fall is the best time to play some sports. I enjoy playing beach volleyball or beach soccer with my friends and family. For one, the sand is not scorching hot, and there is plenty of room!
12. Collect shells: Shell hunting is a fun activity for the whole family. See who can find the most shells, the biggest, or the most colorful ones!
13. Kayaking or Stand Up Paddleboarding: It is one of the best activities you can do in the fall! You can not only get a workout but explore new locations. Though, if you do fall, just remember there is a chance of you getting wet, but it is rare if you lose your footing.
14. Explore the not-so-crowded beach towns: Usually, summer crowds die down come Fall, so it’s the perfect opportunity to explore all those cute beach towns you’ve been meaning to visit. Park your car and walk around, popping into shops and grabbing a bite to eat in between.
15. Go On A Road Trip: Hit up all the best Fall foliage! One of the best things about fall is all the pumpkin-flavored things. Why not take a road trip near the beach such as the Pacific Coast Highway in or near your state? And while you’re at it, you can also hit up some of the best apple orchards!
Best Beaches to visit in the Fall
1. Cannon Beach, Oregon– This beach is well known for its dramatic cliffs, Haystack Rock, and scenic views. It’s the perfect place to go for a nature walk or a picnic. And if you’re lucky, you might even see some whales!
2. Laguna Beach, California– This beach is famous for its beautiful sunsets. So why not enjoy one this fall? Grab a blanket, some snacks, and your loved ones, and head to Laguna Beach for a romantic evening under the stars.
3. Acadia National Park, Maine– This national park is home to some of the most stunning scenery in the country. From its rocky coastline to its lush forests, Acadia National Park is a must-see in the fall. And don’t forget to drive up to Cadillac Mountain for an incredible view!
4. Virginia Beach, Virginia– This beach is perfect for those who want to enjoy some peace. Since it’s off-season, you’ll have the place almost to yourself! So take advantage of it and relax on the beach all day.
5. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina– This beach is great for families. There’s plenty to do, including fishing, playing in the sand, and exploring the boardwalk. Plus, you can find great deals on hotels and restaurants this time of year.
6. Hermosa Beach, California– Hermosa beach is one of the hip towns you have to see. In summer this beach gets super crowded, but the in fall the summer crowds die down. This is a great place to visit!
What can you do at the beach in the fall?
1. Go on a nature walk and enjoy the beautiful foliage.
2. Build a sandcastle with friends or family.
3. Go fishing and try to catch dinner.
4. Have a picnic on the beach and enjoy the views.
5. Collect sea glass and make it into jewelry or art.
How can we enjoy ourselves on the beach?
There are lots of things you can do to enjoy the beach. Here are some ideas:
1. Go for a swim
2. Build a sandcastle
3. Play beach volleyball
4. Have a picnic on the beach
5. Collect shells and sea glass
6. Take a walk on the beach at sunset
8. Go to a bonfire on the beach
Read this article for more ideas on some great activities!
What fun activities do people do at the beach?
There are lots of different activities people do at the beach. Some of my favorites even include kayaking or paddleboarding. This time of year means low crowds and more room to try new activities.
What is the best beach to visit in the fall?
Visit one of the best beaches in the country: Cannon Beach, Oregon; Laguna Beach, California; Acadia National Park, Maine; Virginia Beach, Virginia; or Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
While some people may associate beaches with summertime only, fall is one of the best times to visit if you want to avoid crowds, enjoy cooler temperatures, and take in all of nature’s beauty.
You not only get to explore gorgeous locations, but you avoid the last crowds and scorching hot temperatures.
If you have yet to visit your local beaches or even plan a vacation in the fall then you must try at least once!
So don’t put away your swimsuit just yet—the beach is still waiting for you!